GTD Review Page
Table of Contents
Collect loose papers, materials (2 minutes)
- Paper notes
Mind sweep (20 minutes)
- What has my attention?
- Don’t censor - just collect
- It’s not a to-do list
- Quantity, not quality
- Free associate
- Move around or look around for visual cues
- Projects started, not completed
- Projects that need to be started
- “Look into” projects
- Communications to make/get
- calls, emails, voice mails, faxes, letters, memos
- books, periodicals, articles
- cash, budget, balance sheet, P&L, forecasting, credit line, payables, receivables, petty cash, banks, investors, asset management, bills, investments, loans, taxes, insurance, mortgage, accountants
- goals, targets, objectives, business plans, marketing plans, financial plans, upcoming events, presentations, meetings, conferences, travel, vacation
- phones, computers, software, databases, printers, furniture, fixtures, decorations, supplies, personal organizers
- home office supplies, equipment, answering machines, internet, TV, DVD, appliances, entertainment, filing, storage, tools
- upcoming, need to be set or requested, need to be de-briefed
- Waiting for
- information, delegated projects/tasks, pieces of projects, replies to communications, responses to proposals, answers to questions, submitted items for response/reimbursement, tickets, external actions needed to happen to continue or complete projects… (decisions, changes, implementations, etc.), things ordered
- mail order, repairs, reimbursements, loaned items, information, rsvp’s
- Professional development
- training, seminars, things to learn, things to find out, skills to develop or practice, books to read, research, formal education (licensing, degrees), career research, resume
- Commitments/promises to others
- spouse, partner, children, parents, family, friends, professionals, returnable items
- Upcoming events
- birthdays, anniversaries, weddings, graduations, outings, holidays, vacation, travel, dinners, parties, receptions, cultural events, sporting events
- projects/activities with spouse, partner, children, parents, relatives
- books, music, videos, games, travel, places to visit, people to visit, web surfing, photography, sports equipment, hobbies, cooking, recreation
- wills, trusts, estate, legal affairs
- real estate, repairs, construction, remodeling, landlords, heating and A/C, plumbing, electricity, roofs, landscaping, driveways, garages, walls, floors, ceilings, decor, furniture, utilities, appliances, lights and wiring, kitchen stuff, laundry, places to purge, cleaning, organizing, storage areas
- support and maintenance, doctors, dentist, optometrist, specialists, checkups, diet, food, exercise
- Personal development
- goals to set, classes, seminars, education, coaching, career, creative expressions
- autos, bikes, motorcycles, maintenance, repair, commuting, tickets, reservations
- professional, casual, formal, sports, accessories, luggage, repairs, tailoring
- health, training, supplies
- hardware store, pharmacy, department stores, bank, cleaners, stationers, malls, gifts, office supply, groceries
- family, friends, manager, coworkers, groups
- projects to start or finish, correspondence, invoices, taxes, supplies, new things to try
Get Inbox to zero (10 minutes)
- Physical intray
- Personal email
- Work email
- SMS messages
- Google Docs
- Financial accounts
- Past calendar (2 weeks back) in detail for remaining action items, reference data, etc., and transfer into the active system.
- Upcoming calendar events - long and short term. Capture actions triggered.
Update action lists
- Mark off completed actions.
- Review for reminders of further action steps to record.
- Are there any projects disguised as action items?
- Delete items no longer relevant
Review projects lists
Look at each project and task with my long-term goals in mind. Is this a distraction? That might be OK, but if it doesn’t line up with a goal I might want to decide not to do it.
- Are there any missing projects?
- Are project objectives clear?
- What projects don’t have next actions assigned?
- What projects have been completed?
- What projects should be moved to a Someday/Maybe list?
- Any completed projects that should be added to my performance review list?
- Project support documents/boards
- Any lurking next actions?
Review 30,000’ - 50,000’ lists
- Someday/maybe & annual goals
- Look for projects which may have become active, and transfer to Projects list.
- Delete items no longer of interest.
Be creative and courageous
Any new, wonderful, hare-brained, creative, thought-provoking, risk-taking ideas to add into my system?